Monday 10 February 2020

REFLECTING ON THE JOURNEY


TIME FOR REFLECTION


BLOG BY LESLIE WAN 



FIRST

Christmas 2019 was celebrated at the STEP Centre and as usual, it was JOYFUL! This year the theme was simply the joy of music with the children's voices as they played some of their small percussive instruments like bells and drums and tambourines. The children love to sing and they love to work with Emily Dixon, our special music teacher. Emily has such a wonderful way with the children.

Emily works magic with the children
It was a day of simple fun and joyful song. All the children got their wheelchairs (or skateboard) decked out in Christmas finery and they felt like stars on the day. Ofcourse there were presents shared and cake and Christmas treats! They were happy and so were all of us.
Christmas Skateboard    

REFlECTIONS ON THE YEARS

I have been reflecting back on my years with the STEP Centre. This particular blog is a personal journey from me. What have I learned and celebrated in the 15 years that STEP has been a part of my life. What could I share with you about how children with challenges have changed me. It seems quite unusual that a place filled with children with so many challenges could be the place that has given me such clarity about how deep our hearts can feel when we look beyond the obvious, and pay attention to the smallest of wonders. Recently, while participating in our meditation / full breathing circle, I sat with my eyes closed visualizing all that we were instructed to think about and breathe into. Slowly, I felt a tiny unusually shaped hand sliding into mine. When I looked down to that hand, and up to that face, there sat a small boy with the sweetest grin on his face. There he was, showing me how much he appreciated the closeness of my being there. As a slow grin came across my face, he took my hand to his lips and kissed it. He knew it was not time to talk, but that didn't mean he couldn't get some attention and connection in a way that was absolutely unforgettable and appropriate for the moment. With all his challenges and all the times he has been ill lately, there he was, reminding me that he is there and that we matter to each other. He is one of the most perceptive and intuitive children, and, probably far more so because he sees life from his heart and a wheelchair. He reminded me of the power of touch and the ability to communicate without saying a word. I reflected then that sometimes we talk too much and don't FEEL enough!

In spending this time about where I have come with STEP, the children that have come and gone in those years, and the imprint that has left on me, I went through soooo many of my photos. All I can say is WOW, all those years and all those sweeties! So many children who blessed me in so many ways. Our children can all be so individual because they come to us with an incredible differentiation in abilities. This makes them quite memorable for all kinds of reasons. In many cases, defying logic, I  remember them not because of their challenges, but because of their personalities and how they OUTSHINE those challenges. This journey began as a chance for me to do charitable work with my then young daughter, now has become a cavalcade of memories, and a passion for children that have taught me so much about what I can return from my heart. It has taught me that putting the child before their challenges is always the best view. It has taught me that their parents or caregivers  are everyday heroes. From those students, I now understand the continuity and the fleetingness of life. I celebrate the commonality of life, the ability of my heart to expand and recover from adversities. I now know that when I feel spiritually fatigued, these children have become my mentors in rising ABOVE the discouragement in life. These children are often my counterbalance to the everyday life that makes me mad and disheartened about the world we live in. From these years with STEP I have become more accepting, less judgmental, more resilient, and most importantly, I spend more time seeing with my heart than with my eyes. 


What would I wish for people to take from our children. Joy comes from where and whom you would least expect it. Understanding that life's teachers come in the tiniest packages. Realize that all the "stuff" you accumulate in life will never give you the satisfaction that sitting down with a child who needs you and enjoys the singular connection and heartfelt moments they share with you. They have taught me to believe in myself because THEY work hard all the time. Our children remind us of resilience- we are resilient even when we don't think so. When working alongside someone, we need to acknowledge that we understand how they are feeling and that it makes all the difference in actually SEEING them. These children brought interactions into a realm that changed me for the better. When you are with us, you will see children who struggle, but don't dwell on their struggle. You see children who appreciate fully and accept you openly. You will see challenging moments become tender exchanges and STRONG connections. These children are life changing in so many good ways. In the end the STEP Centre and it's children, have become a blueprint in all kinds of ways in my life. They remind me of the compassionate world, the resilience of the human spirit, the gratitude I have for profound and yet simple moments, and the dramatic impact all lives have on another. Lastly what you give and feel from your heart, is magnified when it is returned back to you by little people who don't even have to try. I am SOOOOO grateful they came into my life and I am blessed by them every time. 


When I started 15 years ago I never dreamed it would become a passion, and I never dreamed that I would find a home among children who are so overlooked by society. It is an enigma that smiles can unlock lessons within us that we never dreamed we needed to know. In a most surprising way these children have given me another family and a more embracing heart. Thank you STEP Centre for championing the champions and believing where others never try.                     




        

2 comments:

  1. I relate strongly to the idea of non verbal communication. I have been experiencing it more and more with the sentient creatures, mostly dogs, that come my way. Eye touch and talk speaks deeper than words. And connects us with the life healing energy that lifts spirits and takes us through the day.
    I can only imagine how powerful the communication at Step Center is. Imagine and recreate as best I can in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne........Communication at STEP is indeed very powerful and not always for the words we use but for many of the children, their expressions and their lack of expressions speak very loudly. It is something our teachers are amazing at - understanding not with words but with signs and expressions. Good for you on your pursuit.... it is quite a wonderful and enriching endeavor.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.